Sunday, April 11, 2010

Superstitious, Who ? Me ?













































It was the ancient Japanese potters that fired with wood who believed that sacrifices and offerings must be made to the kiln god, Kama No Kami. Even the great masters could not control the kiln to perfection -- there are just too many variables -- how much air, how much wood, what fuels to use, when to use them, how to control temperatures, how much stoking, how to stack the pieces, where to place the pieces. The potter controls about 85% of the process but other factors are beyond control, like weather, wood-condition, and kiln atmosphere, which are left to the kiln god.
Years ago, even though I fire with electricity, I began collecting masks and hung them around the door frame of my kiln room to discourage evil spirits from messing with my kiln.
These fierce masks were mostly bought on travels to South America, Cuba,Florida and Mexico. The African masks were a gift from a friend. My youngest daughter, who has been known to send the evil spirits running, contributed a plaster cast of her face that was done several years ago as a school project. The round, three headed one I made as an example for a summer camp kids class I was leading.

No comments: