Sunday, April 11, 2010

Soup, Bread and Claybakers



Since telling Hollis that I would trade him soup recipes I thought I would publish the recipe here for all with a picture. Friday was a great day for soup. This is a family favorite, it uses many ingredients that are part of our western lifestyle: high quality lean beef, any root vegetable you care to throw in the pot and, of course barley. We grow lots and lots of the best barley in the world !
I hope you give this a try - feel free to experiment with your local ingredients... maybe not clams though. Check out Hollis's chowder recipe for those.

Hearty Hamburger Soup ( makes 10 servings )

1.5 lbs lean ground beef
1 medium chopped onion
1 - 28oz. can diced tomatoes
2 c. water
3- 10 oz. cans consomme
1 - 10 oz. can tomato soup
6 carrots chopped
1 bay leaf ( I'm not a fan, so leave this out)
3 stalks of celery chopped
1/2 tsp. thyme
1T. of dried parsley or fresh if you have it
8 heaping T. pot barley
pepper to taste.
Brown onion and beef in a large heavy pot, drain if needed.
Add all the other ingredients, cover and simmer for at least 2 hours or all afternoon while you are out in the studio !

Some homemade bread goes great.

BTW, the bread is baked in an unglazed baker that I made. This works so well that I will never go back to a metal loaf pan. The baker is sitting on tiles that I made as a first year student at Sheridan College (Oakville campus ) and later set into a large coffee table made by a friend, specifically for the tiles.

2 comments:

Trish said...

Colleen...thanks for the 'check in' on my blog..:)).
Yes, spring in Alberta and Saskatchewan. !! always a surprise..
Thanks for the soup recipe..will try that. I brought home/borrowed my Moms breadmaker last weekend, so have been trying my hand at that.My sister uses hers only to mix the ingredients to a point, and then takes the loaf out, kneads it, lets it rise again and then bakes it. I have been following that idea, but would like to get one that looks like yours. Yours looks 'truly' homemade..
..back to the studio. Happy spring!

Jenna said...

Thanks for putting this on your blog - I'm making this soup this week for the residents!!