Friday, February 13, 2009

Small Platter


Here is the edge of the small platter and some of the horizontal surface. It is about an inch deep and has some raised slip trailing on the surface. I am trying to show in these close-up pictures, the gradation of color of this glaze. On the edges it is a toasty brown on this clay body and then it can go this beautiful turquoise matt and then a glossy green/blue where it is thicker. There is also a sort of moss green on the inner shoulder of the piece. At one point in our meeting the customer was running her finger over this part as she was telling me that she thought the glaze was wearing off. I know that pieces come out of the kiln like this - I have them for sale in my studio and I have now checked back with my copy of the book that the glaze was published in and there is the exact same progression of color at the top of the sake jar in the authors example of this glaze. I would have to assue that if the glaze was "wearing off", say, in the dishwasher, the wear would be all over and the glossyness would be dulled. Or perhaps there would be tool marks or scrapes if a knife or metal utensil was scratching a non-durable surface. But there, as you can see, isn't any of that.

No comments: