Friday, February 13, 2009

Customer Concerns Outcome

In meeting with the customer I let her go first and point out her concerns. Now, I have to say, I had a hard time keeping a poker face because there was nothing wrong with the pieces !!! Not even any wear. So after the customer had her say, I told her that I was fully prepared to re-imburse the cost of all the pottery ( the reason why I offered the money right away is because there was no actual problem with my wares -it is her perception and if someone has convinced themselves of something - how do you deal with that without sounding like you are trying to baffel them with B.S.? )Well, she didn't want the money. She said she loves my work and enjoys using the pieces and then she started packing the pottery back up again and not in a good, satisfied customer way. I asked her if she would like me to replace the pottery??? and we went back into a discussion of what she perceived was "wrong" with it.
The reason why I didn't really want to replace the pottery is because: how do you fix something thats not broken? For whatever reason, this customer is mistaken thinking her pottery has gone through some transformation. This customer believes that one of the very qualities that I treasure in this glaze is a fault and that somehow her pottery has changed. Near the end of our conversation I did re-assure her if the glaze was wearing off that there isn't any lead, barium, lithium, ect. in the glaze that could do any harm to someone using these pieces.
I don't have a picture of these particular pieces before they came into her possession so I don't have anything to back-up my claim. But I know that the glaze is not "wearing" or "peeling". She believes the glaze has changed, I don't. What I do know is that I might have to make these pieces several times in order to try to control the outcome to meet her expectations.
So what is our obligation to our customers - how long is the warrenty and how do we protect ourselves. I do have a "pottery instuction guide" that I give out at craft sales and through the gift shop that carries my work. I have been told on several occations that it is too cautious. Mybe not cautious enough ? I know that part of my role is to educate the public. I have taught pottery classes for more than 17 years and most of the time when I start talking technical, most of the students eyes loose focus and they start fidgeting.
So, if you are a potter or a person who buys and/or uses pottery please feel free to comment.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Hi, Colleen! I first became aware of your customer story on Ron's Pottery blog at: http://ronphilbeckpottery.com/2009/02/11/your-feedback-welcome/. I am copying my comment from Ron's blog here, at your request.

While I am not a potter, I am an artist, and I can empathize with having a customer come and say my work is not holding up to wear and tear like it should. But I can’t imagine someone telling me the color is wrong! Well, maybe if the work was a commission, but for something received as a gift? That is difficult for me to imagine!

Colleen, I think you did an amazing job handling this stressful situation. And, I think you are very brave to attempt to create new pieces with the glossy green version of a variegated glaze. It’s not like you can just “order that up” … the whole point is that it varies! But I do respect the fact that she is but one member of a larger group that buys from you regularly, and certainly if she formed a negative opinion it might spread.

I would like to suggest that you consider a way to tactfully ask this group about future orders they place. If they want to place another order for a gift for this particular individual, you may want to suggest they select the gift from whatever “glossy green” items you have on hand, since that is a clear preference for her.

Again, you should be commended for the thoughtful, customer-focused, level-headed, caring way you responded. May I be as gracious if I’m ever faced with a tough customer! :-)

Trish said...

Greetings Colleen, from Alberta. I too, found your site through Ron Philbeck's blogsite. I am also a cone 6 potter, so am interested in your work and the success of the Mastering cone 6 glazes by Roy and Hesselbeth. The Delburne Pottery club is experimenting with these glazes at the moment too. It seems that cone 6 electric potters are few and far between. I would be interested in comparing the glazes with you, if you are interested. Have a great day! I do not have a blog site, but my email is : holmsden@telusplanet.net
cheers. Trish

ladyofclay said...

Hi Trish,


I thought Ron had taken that discussion off of his blog so I was surprised to get your comments about the glaze
problems !


Which glazes are you experimenting with from the book ? and how are they working out for you ?


Colleen

Hollis Engley said...

Hi, Colleen. I think you can drive yourself crazy with a customer like this one. Offering her her money back as the very first option was the way to go. After refusing that solution, the woman has nowhere to go with her argument. If the glaze is a variable one - and it certainly looks like it is, and a lovely one, too - then it will vary. That's what it does. I would not try to duplicate for her whatever is in her little mind. Some customers are just nuts. I had a woman bring a pot back to me once a few days after she'd bought it. "I can't see it in my kitchen," she said. I suggested she get brighter light bulbs. But she wanted a credit for it, so I gave it to her. Jeez.

ladyofclay said...

Thank - You for your supportive comments Hollis.
I was pretty stressed about this situation - only time anything like this has happened to me. I haven't heard from that group again so, looks like she poisoned the well.
Colleen