Sunday, June 20, 2010

Remembering Dad


When I was about 5 or 6, I used to brag that my Dad was soooo strong that he could bend metal with his bare hands ! He seemed like superman to me.
Now that I have been a parent for many years, his cape hasn't faded that much. It's tough being a parent. Yet he parented well, with wisdom, generosity and humor. All the while running a large sheet metal business, employing many people and being an active member in the community. He was well respected in the business community and held those old fashioned values like hard work, honesty and integrity.
We love and miss you a lot, Dad.

Only A Dad 
 
By Edgar Guest

Only a dad with a tired face,
Coming home from the daily race,
Bringing little of gold or fame
To show how well he has played the game;
But glad in his heart that his own rejoice
To see him come and to hear his voice.

Only a dad with a brood of four,
One of ten million men or more
Plodding along in the daily strife,
Bearing the whips and the scorns of life,
With never a whimper of pain or hate,
For the sake of those who at home await.

Only a dad, neither rich nor proud,
Merely one of the surging crowd,
Toiling, striving from day to day,
Facing whatever may come his way,
Silent whenever the harsh condemn,
And bearing it all for the love of them.

Only a dad but he gives his all,
To smooth the way for his children small,
Doing with courage stern and grim
The deeds that his father did for him.
This is the line that for him I pen:
Only a dad, but the best of men. 

 

3 comments:

Trish said...

Colleen,,
Greetings from Stettler..hope this finds you well and not to wet!..we just had another thunderstorm roll through this evening..seems to be a regular occurance these days!..
I was just catching up on some blogs and found your post of June 5..about your friends going to John leach's pottery..how exciting for them..and do you have your treasure from there yet?? :)..
seeing your post about the workshop in Edmonton.. I think I was at that workshop too!!.. I will have to check my info, but a friend and I went up for a day, I think, and saw him work.. Was it at the university somewhere???
I too, remember the way he spoke about being a potter and his work.. I remember the 'oo ga lee' pots..(phonetically speaking)...and what they mean and meant to him... How cool..AND..I definately remember thinking I could not afford one of his pots that he had brought over to sell..how crazy to pass up that opportunity!! but I did.:(
Thanks for posting those pics.
Cheers Trish from Alberta

ladyofclay said...

Hi Trish, what a coincidence that you and I may have been at the same workshop so long ago and now we read each others blogs !
I took pictures of the pots John had brought with him for purchase but didn't feel the need to buy any... A few years prior to having the opportunity to take in his workshop I had been given two of his pots buy my sister-in-law ! She married a man from London and they make frequent trips across "the pond". On one such trip she had me make about a dozen mugs that I make with our farm logo on them for her to give to her in-laws. When I gave them to her she said "what would you like me to bring you back ?" Knowing that they would be touring the country side I told them all about John and asked that they pick me up something small if they got over that way. They brought me back two wonderful pieces that have both his chop and the Mulchelney stamp on them. I was so surprised and happy with the gifts! Nothing was said about price, of course. Then, at the workshop I nearly fainted when I saw how much the pieces cost !!
Lillian and I have yet to get together so, I haven't seen what she has brought me yet - we live quite a distance apart.
The rain has continued here - sigh.

gz said...

Raining here now. No excuse to stay out of the workshop (apart from a late lunch)

My dad has been gone 5 years tomorrow.
I miss him a lot.