Saturday, June 05, 2010

John Leach, then and now.

I've been meaning to post these pictures for a while now...

Back in March, my friend Lillian and her husband Lyle were in England and stopped in to visit John Leach at his pottery. They sent me these pictures:



Standing by the kiln which had just finished firing. Left to right: Himself, Lillian, Lyle's' English cousin 
( sorry I can't remember her name ) Mark Melborne and Nick Rees. Too bad Lillian couldn't have come back for the opening ! Lillian says she "picked me up a little something" So, once we get the spring work out of the way I'll have to go for a visit and collect my treasure ! ( can't wait !!!!)


John and his wife,  I think her name is Lizzie,in the gallery at the pottery -  please let me know if I've got that wrong.



Years ago, I think it was the fall of 1996, I had the pleasure of attending one of John's workshops in Edmonton. After seeing Lillian's pictures I dragged out my photobooks and here are a few pictures from waaay back:

The man is aging well - don't you think ?



Pulling a spout. 
I wonder if he ever takes the hat off ? Would we recognize him if he did ?




Karate chopping a handle lug to get just the right angle. The handle will go on a baker. 




Cleaning up the inside of a squared baker.


Putting the handle on one of his signature saddle jugs



Work in progress







Sorry the 1996 pictures aren't that great but, it was before the days of digital cameras and, I'm not that great with the scanner and all things technical.... I consider it quite amazing that I've managed to get them onto the blog.

So, impressions from a workshop I took 14 years ago:
John spoke a running commentary while he worked : very intimate about his growing up in the Leach pottery tradition funny stories and life lessons learned beside his father and grandfather. Things that are important to him such as preservation of the land and wildlife, how form must function. How being a potter is a lifestyle choice that permeates everything you do and how you move about in this world. His hands never really seemed to touch the clay - they hovered above it and magical things just seemed to happen in their vacinity !

1 comment:

gz said...

Lovely to see those pictures.
I agree about the lifestyle choice.
I may do other jobs to get money, but whatever I do, I AM a Potter :-)