Thursday, November 04, 2010

Studio Mates

My studio mates, Ziggy and Wilson were hard at work with me out in the studio. Here you see Ziggy keeping the handle plugs ready and moist for pulling handles.


Wilson fits snug around my right wrist as I am handling the mugs and keeps the excess water from running down my arm.
Don't you hate wet arm pits... I do, worst part about making mugs. Rather have a wet wrist band.


Mugs I've been working on... I think I'm going to have to re-name my studio to something more appropriate to the speed I've been working at "Sloth Potter Studio" comes to mind at the moment. 3 days to construct 32 mugs !


As you can probably see, I don't throw to a gage. I'll go through these mugs and sort them into like sizes and then group together a few 4 mug sets. The rest I will sell individually. I find most people like a collection of mugs as opposed to a matching set. 

4 comments:

Trish said...

Nice work, Colleen!:).I do not use a gage either..I had trouble getting my mugs to work this week too! -out of practice for doing smaller cylinder shapes. Re: the handles.Do you extrude those little plugs? I pull a long piece and cut each for a mug.I must try the other way.(must get a post done this afternoon too).
My sale is on Nov 19/20 and I am SO behind this year...
Good luck with yours..where/when/with other artists?
Okay..I must get a bisque unloaded and then one loaded!..
Good Sunday to you.T.

ladyofclay said...

HI Trish, thanks.
Those plugs are extruded out of a caulking gun type of extruder and the clay is veeery soft. I then bounce/drop the plug on the table to make it a bit more rectangle-ish and then bounce/fatten up the upper end of the handle on the table, then score the mug attachment area with a serrated rib and put a drop of water there. Then wiggle the plug onto the pot, rotate the pot so I am holding it eye level, looking into the cavity and pull and shape the plug into my handle shape using lots of water.
I really like a pulled handle and find that I am most satisfied with the results if I pull the handle off of the mug. My inner dialog goes something like this as I'm handling the mugs : The inside negative space is the most important area to pay attention to. I'm looking for an ear shaped negative space and a handle that 'springs' from the form. the upper attachment area I want a little thicker - to portray strength
My up coming sale is in Lloydminster. Its a crazy sale - about 250 + booths of all different qualities an quantities. I've been doing the sale for a long time and have some loyal customers. I taught in Lloyd for a long time too so I see lots of former students and friends and there is alot of visiting going on.
I quite enjoy it and they really bring in the customers, always good attendance from all over the region.... but I'm not nearly stocked or ready !
Happy potting !

soubriquet said...

Wilson... now why didn't I think of that, all those years of cold wet armpits...

"Not any more!" he cried.

ladyofclay said...

NIce to see someone appreciates my humor !