Sunday, August 01, 2010

All Aboard ! next stop Quebec City


Quebec City viewed from across the St. Lawrence river at Levi
(photo credit to A. Nonomouse)

We traveled by train to Quebec City and met up with brothers Guillaume (far left) and Jocelyn Pare. They grew up on a dairy farm about 30 miles up river from Quebec City. Gill came west in 2008 and helped us on our farm through harvest. Joe was with us for several months in 2009. I can't say enough good things about these young men; hard working, honest, polite, smart, funny, good looking...


If you look down this street in lower town, you will see a sign for the funicular and the tracks which carry an observation car up the very steep cliff to arrive at the upper town near the Chateau Frontenac. Well, we were walking along, chatting away and heading in this direction to where I figured we would be gliding up the cliff -  

the next thing I knew we were pounding up the stairs and I was still chatting away... and the stairs went up, and up and up. Pretty soon I had to stop chatting and just concentrate on the stairs. I guess I'm in better shape than I thought I was 'cause I made it up "break-neck stairs", talking almost all the way up !  Not bad considering I've got 30 years on the next oldest one in the group !


view of the St. Lawrence from upper town - kinda gave me goose bumps, standing there, thinking about the beginnings of this wonderful Canada and how I am soooo very lucky to live here and raise my children in such a vast and revered country.


excavations along the banks of upper town.


Chateau Frontenac


up and down through the maze of old town




cool, full of movement sculpture, possibly something to do with Cirque de Soile (?)
 - this lady, obviously, wanted to make a quest appearance on my blog but I failed to get her name


colorful streets and beautifully kept,  historic buildings. 


fields seen from the train


lots of farms in the fertile valley - so much closer together than in the west.


riding the train across the bridge coming back to Montreal as the sun was setting





No comments: