Thursday, January 20, 2011

Color to Dye For


As I said in my last post, I've been out in the studio just not yet into the clay this year.
I've been having a great time mixing up colors and then seeing them pop or fizzle as they either work - or not - next to each other. 

Working on fabric is so different from working on clay and yet there are many similarities. Unlike clay, the process is almost immediate. Like clay, the ideas flow like crazy and I can't keep up with what I want to do next... if I only had another frame/wheel ( or 6 ) I could work more ideas instead of impatiently waiting and scribbling and sketching in my note book. While working on the fabric I am exploring 2d and then once its complete it will be 3d as it wraps and drapes in use. Sometimes I have the urge to throw my brush aside and use my fingers to push and manipulate the dyes in the same way we work with clay, and I do... should have taken a shot of my hands. Oh well, once I get back into the clay my multi-colored fingers won't draw such attention in town .

Juicey color, sparkle and sheen ! Great therapy for dull winter days !











4 comments:

Trish said...

Colleen!these are beautiful!..on silk, I am assuming?? Yes, the bright colours are rejuvenating..waiting for our spring.
Fabulous!..
I am not painting on silk, but I am procrastinating getting into the studio..why? oh Why do I do this????grrrr.
Are you selling these wonderful creations???
Cheers, Trish

ladyofclay said...

Hi Trish, yes, they are silk ! and I have been making and selling scarves for probably close to 25 years ! You bring up a good point, which is;I do write this blog as if the reader already is familiar with what I do. If I post more pictures of the scarves I will try and remember to put a little more info into the post. The scarves that I have in this post are - top to bottom - a flat crepe silk, crepe de chine, and a habotai silk.

gz said...

thinking about farmworkers.
There is WWOOF,but it is for organic farms.
I think it is international-just googling....
http://www.wwoof.org/
they are on facebook too!

Jenna said...

Pretty scarves Mom! Love all the juicy colours!!