Saturday, September 11, 2010

My New Ride


If the skies clear up and the wind blows and the sun shines, this is where I'm going to be spending the next 8 - 10 weeks. Our new Case IH was delivered awhile back. It's got 485 hp under the hood and a 40 foot header. Lots of lights- gonna need them.

This years growing season has been really crappy. The spring was late, cold and wet.  Normally, about 32 million acres of land are seeded in the spring. This year, heavy rains in the spring made the soil too wet and prevented many farmers from getting out into their fields.The result was that about 10 million acres of Saskatchewan farmland went unseeded this spring.

Rains have continued and have flooded out many of the plants that did get started. We weren't as bad off as some of the farmers in the eastern side of the province. Our crops were late into the ground and now almost a month behind normal development. I'm surprised we haven't had a hard frost yet but that is a certainty sometime in the coming week.  It’s that time of year. The days are getting shorter and we can’t seem to get a sustained period of warm, dry weather. It’s been a difficult growing season and so far the same pattern is holding for harvest. 

Q: What it's going to take to make me happy?
A: These guys pulling onto our land.

photo credit to William Dekay

Do you think I'm asking for too much ?? 

7 comments:

Trish said...

Colleen.. :).. I like you new ride!If I was closer, I would ask you to take me for a ride :)...having grandparetn 'farm roots', and living where we do, you'd think I would have had a ride in a combine in allllll my years,...but nope..crazy!..
I truly hope you get onto the land soon..it is showery again here this afternoon..
What a terrific picture of the mega rides!!..where is that??
I must post again soon...still working on leaf imprints, but taking a rest today..
cheers for now. T.

Trish said...

p.s...sorry about all those spelling errors! and now I can't correct them....good grief!
Have a good day.

Hollis Engley said...

You know, Colleen, my wife just got a new Subaru Forester, and I was thinking this post would be something like that. I guess not, huh? That looks like a great machine. And that row of combines in the bottom photo is a stunner. Just a wonderful image and it tells a great story. Good luck with the harvest. Those of us who eat bread made with Canadian wheat thank you.

ladyofclay said...

Thank -You both for your good wishes, it sure means alot to us.
The bottom picture was an event last month near Winkler, Manitoba. 250 acres of wheat was harvested by 200 combines, breaking a world record, raising money for " Children Camps International ".
The cockpit of this new combine is more complicated than our last one. So Trish, I'm glad no one will be riding with me for the first while... I would have to change my name from "ladyofclay" to "foulmouthofthefields".
When we get going, I'll take a 'birds eye view' picture for you.

Judith said...

Praying you have some favorable weather coming soon. Is it my imagination or is there more green than red in that harvest line?

Great photo!

gz said...

wishing you a good harvest.
I've been weeding and digging on my two allotments all weekend, and picking apples and pears in an orchard today, after firing a bisque kiln.
Doesn't quite compare!!

Unknown said...

Nice Case! I'm not actually the 'farmer', I'm the truck driver, but I can appreciate farm equipment (and those who operate them!). I rode around in the combine some this year, and oh my, there is SO much stuff to pay attention to all the time.

I thought that photo at the bottom was from the world record attempt... I don't think there would be any profit left over after having paid for all those hired combines and trucks. ;)