Monday, July 26, 2010

Pottery Mother lode !


30 years ago, while living in southern Ontario, I had traveled to Quebec and loved driving through the eastern townships. This trip I wanted to return with my girls. While planning our trip I had quite a hard time finding any contacts for individual potters in Quebec. I had found some info on the internet about an outdoor exhibit that was on during our visit. I must say that we lucked out by visiting Mystic, a quiet little village,  south east of Montreal. It turned out to be the pottery Mother Lode !

This is the 7th year Jacques Marsot ( photo above ) has hosted an outdoor pottery exhibit. I enjoyed visiting with him; potters are the friendliest people ! I think there was work from 28 different potters displayed through out the grounds. Jacques has a well tended, beautiful yard and buildings. I had such a great time visiting and ogling all the pots that I didn't take any pictures ! 
The pictures below are some that my daughter Caela took. There's lots more pictures and info here: http://www.ceramystic.com/angl/02_description.html
I bought several pots and I'll show them to you in a later post.

extruded vase by Jacques Marsot



loved these handbuilt vessels, sorry, I didn't get the name 




these little nymphs were hangin around all over the garden


down the road from the Marsot pottery is this beautifully
restored 8 sided barn/museum which houses a collection of farming implements, ect. 




this is an interesting old general store, turned restaurant,
 in Mystic where we had a delicious meal.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Colleen...what a great time you had in Montreal!! and OH>>the pots! how super to find that sale..(we just returned from our jaunt into B.C. via Creston, and I found a couple of artists too--check out my blog)..
AND..the pictures of Expo '67!! I was there! as a grade 11 student on a major train trip..I remember the Habitat site so well..thanks for the memory.. and the pics of old montreal..again reminds me of France three years ago..ahhh!! I think I need a trip east! :)..
hope the rest of the summer is super too and that the crops are plenty - filled.. :)
cheers. Trish