Sunday, May 16, 2010

Plum Blossoms

The weather here has finally become more springlike.
The blossoms on our plum trees in the yard are in full bloom.
 Field work has been progressing quite well - long hours and not much time for the pottery.

Yesterday I had just gotten well into a project that I had been planning for for quite awhile when the phone rings and it is a neighbor putting the word out that another neighbor had a bad fire raging in their field. So, I made the call to the men in our field and while they took the necessary steps to leave their equipment, I readied the water truck and lined up rakes, shovels and personal water bottles. Once the men raced into the yard there were running instructions and everyone jumped in trucks and raced down to the site of the fire. ( sorry, no pictures ! ) There was a huge amount of smoke and fire flaming into the sky visible for miles. Once we got there it was about a 2 hour battle to get things under control. Many acres had been burnt and alot of brush will no loner protect the fields from wind damage. But it could have been worse. After our own fire last fall we are starting to get a better "to do" list when the call goes out. Not the kind of wood firing I like to be invited too but we know how important it is that everyone pitch in when there is an emergency.

Oh, and I made cookies yesterday morning. They turned out great; crunchy on the outside, soft, chewy and delicious on the inside.

The plate is made by Julia Rand of Edmonton, AB.



 Here's the recipe:

Nutella Cookies

 2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, at room temp.
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar
400 g. jar of  Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup toasted & skinned hazelnuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350F.

Sift together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside dry ingredients.

Cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in Nutella and vanilla extract. Mix in egg.

Add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Add chocolate chips and hazelnuts.

Drop tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for about 11 minutes until the edges look set. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then carefully remove to cooling racks.

7 comments:

ade said...

Yum! I always become weak and just eat the Nutella out of the jar.

ade said...

Thanks for linking to your blog; love it! The Butterdome show was ok, not much different than the Lloyd show for us...quite busy though! And did I mention well run? Do you have upcoming shows?

Jenna said...

Yuuummmm.... I also succumb to eating it out of the jar... but if I ever develop self-control (and buy flour) I will give this a try!

Scary news about the fire. Hopefully it's the last of the season!

ladyofclay said...

Hi Adrienne,
yeah, that Nutella is addicting ! I did a show at the Butterdome yeeears ago and it was probably the best run show I have ever been in - wonder if they are the same people ? I am very busy with the farm so I have only got a couple of small markets booked this spring.

ladyofclay said...

hey Jenna, don't worry, I saved you some cuz they didn't last long with Q & LM around !

Caela said...

Hey! You forgot the photo credit!---which goes out to a certain "Caela" if I remember correctly....

Anonymous said...

Hi Colleen! I'm not sure if you check this blog anymore? I'm looking for any information on Julia Rand, who you mention in this post. I recently acquired a few of her pieces, and I wanted to find out about her. However, your blog and a gift shop in Edson are the only places online where I could find her name. Do you happen to know anything about Julia, such as whether she is still creating pottery or where her works were or are available for purchase? Thanks!